Tuesday, October 23, 2012

THE NEXT BIG THING

We [authors] all dream about our novels being the next big thing. It's only natural to hope our efforts produce something fabulous. So, when Adriana Ryan asked me to participate in THE NEXT BIG THING blog hop, I said "Of course. I'm there!" 

I'm an author, I want the world to know about my books. Besides, it gives me an opportunity to tag five other writers to participate. What's extra special is they're like me, they write suspense novels. We're a small group, at least it feels that way, so any chance I have to help them promote their work is the highlight of my day. 

Okay, so here's what you do. Answer ten questions about one of your works, either a book or WIP, doesn't matter. Today I'm sharing my next book which is now in the hands of my publisher, the sequel to "Broken But Not Dead". The photo to the left, curtesy of Law & Order, is Canadian actor Adam Beach, who I believe would be a perfect Danny Killian, my protagonist. Such a cutie. I picked the photo because Danny's intense and a little sad. 

TEN QUESTIONS:

1. What is the working title of your book?

Omatiwak: Woman Who Cries. 


2. Where did the idea come from from the book?

After I finished Broken But Not Dead, one of the characters, Sally Warner, wouldn't leave me alone. Strange as this sounds, it felt as if she were stalking me. Days, weeks, months, she hounded me, saying stuff like, "You're not going to leave me like this, are you? You can't. I have a story to tell!"


Sally Warner [Kathy Bates]
I won't spoil it by saying anything else. Except, after seven months of her constant nattering, I sat down and started writing her story. How worse could her life get? Well, let's see. What if on a cold fall morning, she finds her husband, retired Minister of National Defense, dead on their kitchen floor. He's been shot by an unknown assailant. The police are worried she's the next victim. 

3. What genre does your book fall under?

Psychological thriller. In case you don't know what that is, and have always wondered, a psychological thriller generally leans more toward the unstable emotional states of their characters.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Oops, already answered that question. Adam Beach would be RCMP Corporate Danny Killian. Kathy Bates would play Sally Warner, the wife of Leland Warner, murder victim. Sally's confidente, the gracious and wise Brendell Kisepisim Meshango, protagonist of BROKEN BUT NOT DEAD, would be played by Tina Keeper. 


Tina Keeper

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Can the developing friendship between a cop and a suspect ruin both their lives? 

I'm going to give this more thought, but for now this pretty well covers it. Okay--Okay, I'm hoping one of my editors comes up with the synopsis. I hate writing these things. Tried to get Alex Sokoloff to write it, but she kept giving it back to me. Shish. 

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? 

Good question because I've done both, and I choose a publisher, for so many reasons. A topic for another day. 

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Prior to buying my Mac I had so many computer crashes that I'm no longer sure. But if I had to guess, I'd say 5 months. That does not include the seven drafts. Or the 10 revisions I did with the help of my line editor, copy editor, and final draft editor.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Stephen King's "Dolores Claiborne" because while Kathy Bates' character is sympathetic, she's making things worse by keeping secrets. Another Stephen King thriller, "Secret Window."

9. Who or What inspired you to write this book?

Two things, my Metis heritage and my concern that there aren't enough books about 50-something women. Particularly strong native women. 

10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

The story takes place in small-town Canada where there has always been an underlying tension between Aboriginal peoples and the white establishment. During the time it took to write Omatiwak, by the way, that's Cree for Woman Crying, a task force was investigating the disappearance and murders of dozen of women on the Highway of Tears. It's an ongoing theme throughout the book that haunts my protagonist, RCMP Corporal Danny Killian

Now comes the part where I get to introduce you to 5 talented suspense writers. 

Honey Rose

Michelle Wallace

Jeremy Bates 

Heather Haven

Joanne Elder


62 comments :

  1. I love psychological thrillers! Must take a lot of organization to write one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Elizabeth. I've never thought much of it because I've only ever written suspense. I'm thinking of writing a children's book, and the process has already frightened the heck out of me. Haha. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Yay Joylene. I'm glad Omatiwak is making its way toward publication. It's interesting (to me, anyway) that even without the benefit of the pictures you posted of how you envision your characters, they're all very close to the images I had of them while reading, thanks to your descriptive skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keith, for making me a better writer. Can't imagine how I'd ever gotten this far without you!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tag! I'll post next Monday- and wishing you success on your new book. I'll be adding your books to my to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting setting. I can't think of any book about a native woman of that age either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, What a shame, because there are so many fascinating 50-something native women out there. I'm related to a few of them. Hi, Captain!

      Delete
  5. Hello Joylene! Your novel sounds great! I love the title! I'm terrible at titles so I always love to see a title that works so well. ^^ :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great when characters are so determined to get their story told. Though that could make it more difficult as they are usually quite particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree, Sara. Because my family was beginning to look at me funny.

      Delete
  7. Hi Joylene,

    It was wonderful hearing about your WIP! I have often kicked around writing a suspense thriller, but that grand idea hasn't bulldozed through my head yet. Guess I'll just have to finally read Broken But Not Dead, to see how it's done:) Heather Haven's stories are a hoot, and I have Spectra, soon to be read, there are just so many...

    Thanks for sharing,

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kindly, Sara. I stopped by your webpage. Pretty awesome.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, like Secret Window, huh? I loved that one. Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda. Gads, Nancy, I'm terrible at synopsis and choosing similar books, but I think there's a reoccurring theme going on. Kinda. Haha. Happy Book Launch!

      Delete
  9. Your one sentence synopsis is well written. It really grabs me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say. Thanks, Amanda. I'm so nervous when it comes to writing loglines.

      Delete
  10. I saw the movies for both Delores Claiborne and the Secret Window and am imagining how a hybrid of those two films would look like. It makes sense that you would cast Kathy Bates as one of your characters since she was in D.C. Does this mean you have a Johnny Depp lookalike character in your story too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't! Hmm. Why not? Oh, I know why. I didn't think Mr. Depp would like just a supporting role.

      Delete
  11. Hey Joylene,

    Yes, it's me, Gary. Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star, now promoted to superstar status, has kindly allowed me to use the computer. Right then, enough about us.

    I consider your inspiration to write the book is of profound significance.
    Nice shout out for those five suspense writers. You my friend, are a superstar. Penny told me this and I'm not going to disagree with her!

    Your loyal fan,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Gary. Tell Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star, now promoted to superstar status, I love her!

      Delete
    2. Hi Joylene,

      Just finished having a doggy nap and Gary showed me your comment. Hey, this superstar dog loves you, also!

      Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star, now promoted to superstar status! xx

      Delete
    3. Yes, Penny, it's confirmed. You ARE a superstar!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for joining The Next Big Thing Tour and sharing your latest work with us. Your ability to name your actors shows how well you know your characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  13. Hi Joylene! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I like the concept of unstable MCs. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh. This sounds like a great book. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting to hear about your book and see the character visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, I love a healthy dose of psychological shenanigans in all my books. :D Can't wait for this one! And you're right--older women are rarely portrayed as protagonists. They're usually marginalized and typecast into the "sympathetic friend" role. This book sounds fabulous on many levels. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adriana! And thanks for tagging me.

      Delete
  17. I love reading about older protagonists. I have the start of a series just released about one. Interesting post. I enjoyed reading it. Best of luck. On my TBB list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this meme. And characters who must have their stories told!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ho, Joylene! Sounds quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the sound of this. I enjoy thrillers.

    I know how some characters won't leave you alone until you write about them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was encouraged to read that you wrote your novel in five months. I think there may be hope for me. I've been encouraged to write book for adults and I'm still not sure, but if I could whip it up in five months...Maybe..I envisioned years..I guess time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the tag Joylene! I'll post when my WIP has more "meat"...
    Your book sounds awesome and I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What is a reliable writing company?
    At the beginning of the year, a friend of mine recommended me to a freelance writing website. I was cautious at first since several of my friends had lost money in some freelance writing scams. But when my friend showed me the more than USD 1000 cash in their bank account that came from freelance writing I decided to try it out. That was the beginning of my freelance writing career at writerbay (http://www.writerbay.com/apply.html?writer=2035). About 5 months later, I am wishing that I had signed up with the company years back.
    I know several of those reading this post have lost their money in freelance writing scams, and that is why I am offering my opinion on how to stay safe. The first test whether it is a reliable freelance company is if it asks you for a sign up fee. 90% of valid writing companies have no registration charges because what they are looking for are reliable writers to complete available orders. Such companies are already assured that they will make money from commissions on the jobs you do and hence don’t need a registration fee from you to support their business. Another test for valid writing companies is that it is not easy to open an account. If registering with a writing company is as easy as opening an email account, then be cautious. Why would someone want to hire you as a chef at a 5-star hotel and not be concerned with how your food tastes?
    I am not saying that all companies that meet the above requirements are valid, however, chances are that most of them are valid. If you still are not sure which company to apply for a position with, try writerbay (http://www.writerbay.com/apply.html?writer=2035) and I promise you will never leave. Wish you all the best in your freelance writing career.
    freelance writing jobs online uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stalking characters can get annoying, even more so when one actually starts their book and they act like they are the cleverest thing on the planet. "See, I TOLD you my story was wonderful! Don't you feel bad for not starting it sooner? I'm going to make you famous!" And so on and so forth. They get big heads very fast sometimes. At least, some do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you have a wonderful story. I also have characters who have lives and minds of their own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your book sounds like it would do really well!! great ideas. i love suspense, keeps me reading for sure! new follower...hi!

      Delete
    2. Hi Misha. I hope to hear more about your characters. Happy Writing.

      Delete
  26. Thanks, Tammy. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Joylene,

    This is a wonderful blog hop. I was tagged by Terry Ervin a few weeks ago, but haven't had time to pull a post together. Got my hands in many fires and have to put them out in time for November's NANO challenge. Needless to say, I'm scrambling.

    Your book sounds wonderful. Love your picks for actors for your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is the most interesting post I've read pertaining to the blog hop. I love that you're examining sociological tensions between ethnicities in your novel. It makes your story more deep and complex than the average book. I do that in my ms (with Christian and Muslim characters), but mine is YA and agents don't seem interested. I guess some themes are too "old" for YA.
    Good luck on OMATIWAK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's something to consider, Lexa. Turn it into an adult fiction.

      Delete
  29. This is a great blog hop indeed - I did it a while back too. Your story sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Your opinions matter.